Raisins & Grapes Poisonous to Dogs

Beware! Beware! Never give raisins or grapes to the dogs. It is poisonous to them. If they eat a lot, they will die!

I just learn that today! I remember giving my dog, Cha Cha one grape once years ago, but gladly she did not like it. However, if she likes them, then she would have died from it. I would never know that would kill her. Whew! I am glad I found it! I have to be careful what I give to my dog; otherwise, she will be sick.

Just a little note: I didn't realize that raisins were made of the white seedless grapes. I remembered eating them all the time when i was young. Now, I don't like it very much. I would eat them once in a while but love it like I used to, no.

Anyway, it said that there is no way knowing why it is poisonous to them. TThe toxic principle is unknown.

How Many Would Poison Your Dog?

The minimum toxic dose is approximately 1 grape per pound of body weight.

15 lb dog = 12-14 grapes could be deadly
25 lb. dog = 23 grapes could be deadly
50 lb. dog = 50+ grapes could be deadly
75 lb. dog = 75 grapes could be deadly

Raisins, having lost their water content are considered more toxic at 6 raisins per kg of body weight, or 2-3 raisins per pound of body weight. Think how many raisins are in ONE small snack pack of raisins ? maybe enough to kill your dog.

15 lb. dog = 30-45 raisins could be deadly
25 lb. dog = 50-75 raisins could be deadly
50 lb. dog = 100-150 raisins could be deadly
75 lb. dog = 150-225 raisins could be deadly

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms appear 6-24 hours after the dog eats raisins or grapes (average is 12 hours). Initially, symptoms are gastro-intestinal signs, followed by kidney problems.

Vomiting is usually the primary sign, with diarrhea, depression/lethargy, anorexia, colic, dehydration and sharply decreased urine output. The course of the toxicosis is anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Dogs with kidney problems have a guarded to poor prognosis.

The good news is that it is treatable, if you see any symptoms, take your dog to the vet clinic immediately!!!

If the raisins or grapes have been ingested within 2-3 hours, vomiting should be induced followed by activated charcoal to limit further absorption. Treatment is based on preventing further absorption if appropriate and maintaining urine output & electrolyte balance. The vet may also give an osmotic cathartic (to speed up GI passage of toxin without absorption). The animal should receive an isotonic saline solution IV at twice maintenance rates for 48 hours. Anti-nausea medication, diuretics and peritoneal dialysis may be needed in some cases.

Most excerpts above are from Beagles and Buddies website.

About these ads